Why Toyota Overlapped New Models On Purpose

Blackteqrunner

When Toyota introduced the new Land Cruiser, and the starting price was just under the Lexus Gx550, we were all wondering why? Why would Toyota have completely different vehicle choices so close to each other in price and possibly compete against each other? I have three possible explanations for their decision to introduce all of these models, and I'll also explain why Toyota is an absolute genius in going this route.

2025_Toyota_4Runner_TRDPro_Black_012.jpg
The first reason is that Toyota knew that in order to bring back the Land Cruiser, they needed to offer it as more affordable version of the 200 series which sold at roughly $90,000 and are still holding their value at that price. The Lexus GX550 starting in the mid $60,000 range is a luxury version of both the 4Runner and Land Cruiser models, and with extras like massaging seats and cooler box center consoles, it fits that description perfectly. The Land Cruiser priced at around $55,950 for the base 1958 model, starts around the expected and hopeful maximum price of the 4Runner (except the Trailhunter, TRD Pro, Platinum and Limited). This offers choice to those who want the Land Cruiser for it's iconic name and capabilities, or a top end 4Runner.

Another possible reason Toyota decided to offer extremely similarly priced models is to cover an entire corner of potential consumers budgets. For many people who lean towards Toyota for it's reliability and high value retention, this pricing coverage really covers all budgets and also offers a wide variety of choices that still carry the cache of a Toyota. Someone wanting a Toyota can get a capable 4Runner, Land Cruiser or GX550 will find something that will fit their budget as long as it begins around $45,000.

The final explanation for why Toyota has gone this route is simple. Marketing is everything, and Toyota has made the entire off road market talk about only them. Similarly to social media, clicks are everything and if YouTube car channels are spending the last few years covering Toyota, the Toyota name is even more relevant than before. It is obvious that Toyota has pushed all of its chips into the off road and overland market. Along with it's lineup of Tacoma's and Tundra's, Toyota has made itself the talk of the car community with this lineup of new models all released within 3 years of each other in a coordinated and planned effort to drown out the competition. I would say they have succeeded and I can't wait to see what is next.

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

I want to get a pulse check on who here is thinking about getting aftermarket headlights on...
I was just surfing on Instagram and found this render by KELSONIK. He took the Limited Trim in...
It seems that Toyota has moved on from Nitto Terra Grapplers with their new upcoming 6th Gen...
The new 2025 Toyota 4Runner Trailhunter has some pretty cool Rigid Fog Lights. These lights are...
My biggest gripe with my new Land Cruiser and Tacoma is the pathetically small gas tank size...
I have had my new Land Cruiser for about 1 month now and I wanted to fill you all in on how the...

Similar

Back