Trailhunter, Is It Overland Ready??

Blackteqrunner

One of the exciting trims coming with the 6th Gen 4runner is the Trailhunter (TH). Toyota has recognized the market for an overland ready trim that allows for the user to customize and suit the platform to fit the individual needs of differing weights that can be found in all the possible overland setups. Considering these factors, Toyota has come up with a collaboration with Old Man Emu for the suspension components.

IMG_2748.PNG

The Trailhunter will come equipped with an Old Man Emu (OME) suspension, that will provide a 2.0" lift in the front and a 1.5" lift in the rear. It will also come with upgraded forged upper control arms with the Trailhunter logo stamped onto them. These will help a lot with larger tire fitments that most owners will want to do. Toyota worked in close collaboration with Old Man Emu, who has been a large name in the overland and off road scene, seeking guidance in what future Toyota owners will want from their vehicle. Assisting in the manufacturing of the shocks is Bilstein, which makes the Off Road trim shocks, will be a huge plus because of their reputation for very well built and precise products.

IMG_2749.JPG

The shocks will be a 2.5" multi-phase bypass, with piggy back reservoirs in the rear and no reservoirs in the front. To assist with the weight needs and constant payload many overlanders will put their vehicle through, Toyota says it will be a "Position Sensitive" dampening system that will provide different dampening forces based on the position of the shock stroke and how fast the shock is cycling through the shock body.

IMG_2747.JPG

An easy comparison to this shock is the OME BP-51 which many suspected would be on the Trailhunter trim. There are some differences between these two shocks, one being the piston size. The BP-51 piston is 51mm and the new Trailhunter OME shock is 60mm. The larger piston will help a lot with assisting with the heavier payloads that are expected. One huge difference between these two is that the BP-51 is an adjustable shock, that has adjusters on both the front and rear. The TH will come without adjusters, but were made with 6061 forged aluminum in order to help dissipate heat and stand up to extreme temperatures. The closest comparison for the new TH shock is actually the Bilstein 6112/5160 system because of the shock body size, lack of adjustability, and the piggy back reservoirs that are only present on the rear shocks.

Overall, it's exciting to see Toyota really listen and offer off the sales floor solutions to it's customers. We will see how it holds up in real life tests, but nonetheless it is promising to see Toyota see a value in the overland market and make an investment into it.

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

It looks like we're not getting the 6th Gen 4Runner until December of 2024 or possibly the 1st...
I have a Genesis Offroad dual-battery setup in my 2019 ORP and absolutely love it. As I...
I'm new here from NJ and I want say Hi 👋 to everyone. I like 2025 4Runner new design and specs...
The battery on the hybrid 6th Gen 4Runners is located all the way in the rear of the vehicle in...
There are several companies out there already who have made or in current development for CAI’s...
The new 2025 6th Gen 4Runner gets a bit of an upgrade when it comes to tech. One of those...

Similar

Back