2025 4Runner Interior Buttons Get Bigger and Better

Trail4R

Administrator
Staff member
The 5th Gen 4Runner has large interior control knobs, but the 2025+ 4Runner introduces a whole new meaning to the word bold.

4Runner_Buttons_01.png

The updated interior on the new model offers a blend of modern touchscreen technology and practical classic physical controls. Toyota chose to send it with long-term usability and bulletproof user experience in mind. Chief Interior Designer Benjamin Jimenez emphasized the importance of considering user experience over futuristic trends. This is one thing we all love about the 4Runner, just how practical it is. The continued body-on-frame platform still offers those classic creature comforts we all know and love; large user-friendly climate control + volume up/down dials and then they took it up a notch with integrated digital display interfaces.

While touchscreens surged in popularity due to their high-tech appearance, concerns over distraction and usability have prompted a shift back to physical controls. Buttons and dials provide immediate access to essential functions, particularly advantageous in scenarios like driving in cold weather with gloves on.

Beyond practicality, physical controls offer a tactile authenticity that enhances the overall driving experience. Jimenez highlights the intentional design choices behind the 4Runner's buttons and dials, ensuring usability even in rugged off-road conditions.

This deliberate design approach results in interiors that are both aesthetically pleasing and highly functional. By prioritizing user experience over trendiness, the 4Runner stands out in an industry often focused on following the crowd.

Design Elements​

4Runner_Buttons.png

The button face offers a tactical-like injection molded shroud with integrated tiny bolt heads all the way around. We're unsure if the bolts are actually functional but knowing Toyota, they likely are. In the center of the dial, you have a digital display interface that is specific to your zone in the cabin. Creature comforts we have never seen on the 4Runner before. On the backside of the shroud, you will find rubber grip dial controls to further enhance your user experience offering one-click indicators of where your climate setting is. Finally, Toyota finishes everything off with knurled plastics. There is knurling behind the climate control knobs, and on every toggle/rocker switch of the center console.

Driver Side Button Stack​

4Runner_Buttons_02.png

On the driver's side, you will find a ton of new buttons; an automatic liftgate, automatic high beams, what looks like a fuel door button (taking it back to the 1st Gen 4Runner!), and more. For the TRD PRO and Trail Hunter models, you will find a TRD Lightbar button, and Auxillary buttons labeled Aux 1 - Aux 4. These new auxiliary buttons are for your aftermarket accessories; lights, winch, compressor, etc.

Full Interior Detail​

2025_TRD_Pro_4Runner_Interior_02.jpg

This new 4Runner is loaded with new buttons, yet keeps its minimalist design and user-first mentality at the core.

Last edited:
I am so happy they kept so many physical buttons. All of these new car manufacturers keep putting everything on screen. Including climate control, air vent movement, and heated/cooled seats. It’s a cool idea, but it is very distracting to have to access the sub menus, then move your finger around to point the air in the direction you want.

I am so happy they kept so many physical buttons. All of these new car manufacturers keep putting everything on screen. Including climate control, air vent movement, and heated/cooled seats. It’s a cool idea, but it is very distracting to have to access the sub menus, then move your finger around to point the air in the direction you want.
100% agree, especially considering how cheap those screens are. Nothing like losing access to all your controls

It feels so strange where the chose the location for the push to start button. Like, oh hey, this looks good. Full send to production 😂

The 5th Gen 4Runner has large interior control knobs, but the 2025+ 4Runner introduces a whole new meaning to the word bold.

View attachment 166

The updated interior on the new model offers a blend of modern touchscreen technology and practical classic physical controls. Toyota chose to send it with long-term usability and bulletproof user experience in mind. Chief Interior Designer Benjamin Jimenez emphasized the importance of considering user experience over futuristic trends. This is one thing we all love about the 4Runner, just how practical it is. The continued body-on-frame platform still offers those classic creature comforts we all know and love; large user-friendly climate control + volume up/down dials and then they took it up a notch with integrated digital display interfaces.

While touchscreens surged in popularity due to their high-tech appearance, concerns over distraction and usability have prompted a shift back to physical controls. Buttons and dials provide immediate access to essential functions, particularly advantageous in scenarios like driving in cold weather with gloves on.

Beyond practicality, physical controls offer a tactile authenticity that enhances the overall driving experience. Jimenez highlights the intentional design choices behind the 4Runner's buttons and dials, ensuring usability even in rugged off-road conditions.

This deliberate design approach results in interiors that are both aesthetically pleasing and highly functional. By prioritizing user experience over trendiness, the 4Runner stands out in an industry often focused on following the crowd.

Design Elements​

View attachment 168

The button face offers a tactical-like injection molded shroud with integrated tiny bolt heads all the way around. We're unsure if the bolts are actually functional but knowing Toyota, they likely are. In the center of the dial, you have a digital display interface that is specific to your zone in the cabin. Creature comforts we have never seen on the 4Runner before. On the backside of the shroud, you will find rubber grip dial controls to further enhance your user experience offering one-click indicators of where your climate setting is. Finally, Toyota finishes everything off with knurled plastics. There is knurling behind the climate control knobs, and on every toggle/rocker switch of the center console.

Driver Side Button Stack​

View attachment 167

On the driver's side, you will find a ton of new buttons; an automatic liftgate, automatic high beams, what looks like a fuel door button (taking it back to the 1st Gen 4Runner!), and more. For the TRD PRO and Trail Hunter models, you will find a TRD Lightbar button, and Auxillary buttons labeled Aux 1 - Aux 4. These new auxiliary buttons are for your aftermarket accessories; lights, winch, compressor, etc.

Full Interior Detail​

View attachment 268

This new 4Runner is loaded with new buttons, yet keeps its minimalist design and user-first mentality at the core.
I understand that Toyota is trying to save money by putting the Tacoma dashboard in the new 4Runner but I really wish Toyota would have made some minor tweaks to the dash to make it stand out from the Tacoma.

I don’t know about the 6th gen, but I drove a brand new Volvo X40 last weekend and the temp adjusted by 2’s and the cruise control was in 5’s. It was really strange!
Gotta hold the cruise buttons down to change the speed by 1mph. Quick presses adjust by 5. Different than most systems for sure.

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

It looks like we're not getting the 6th Gen 4Runner until December of 2024 or possibly the 1st...
I have a Genesis Offroad dual-battery setup in my 2019 ORP and absolutely love it. As I...
I'm new here from NJ and I want say Hi 👋 to everyone. I like 2025 4Runner new design and specs...
The battery on the hybrid 6th Gen 4Runners is located all the way in the rear of the vehicle in...
There are several companies out there already who have made or in current development for CAI’s...
The new 2025 6th Gen 4Runner gets a bit of an upgrade when it comes to tech. One of those...

Similar

Back