Cargo Area Space & Features

Trail4R

Administrator
Staff member
There have been quite a few people talking about the lack of space and potential increased load height in the 4Runner due to the battery design. After looking at the 4Runner in person, I can tell you the height is not an issue (unless you're incredibly vertically challenged). You would have to be in the 5' 1" range to be affected by the height of the cargo area. And that's only if the model you buy is equipped with the iFORCE MAX powertrain. Outside of the height, the size (width and length) is definitely not an issue. The new cargo area is huge! It's definitely bigger than the 5th Gen 4Runner that we have all known and loved for years. The 6th Gen is packed with features in the cargo area as well.
  • Rear-facing storage area compartment lifts up and can be fully removed (Trailhunter Air Compressor Kit Storage)
  • Front-facing storage area compartment lifts up for more storage
  • Storage on the driver's side for the jack
  • Secondary storage compartment on driver's side
  • Tie-down points on floor
  • Tie-down points on D-pillars
  • Cargo shade slots and mounts
  • AC 120V 1200W Inverter
  • Speakers on both the driver and passenger side
  • Built-in Air Compressor (only on Trailhunter trim): It does look like the TRD PRO has the same wheel well design as the Trailhunter so there may be provisions for it if you decide to install or retrofit your own.
  • Cup holder and storage trays: Huge storage trays for cups and other gear, designed for 3rd Row seating and passenger comfort, although they can be used for something useful if you don't have the 3rd Row.
  • MOLLE Panel style trays and storage on both sides.
I can assure you that the load height is not a problem if you're a normal-sized human and the storage capacity of the cargo area as a whole is quite big. Now we just wait and see what companies like Goose Gear are going to design for us.

6G4R_139.jpg

6G4R_141.jpg

6G4R_143.jpg

Great photos! Thank you for sharing your input on this. I'm on the fence about Hybrid or not, but cargo space loss is not a big concern for me. Any option will be a mansion compared to a 3rd gen cargo space. Nevertheless it's good to see it and factor that in as well.

I quite like the design of the 6th gen, Cant wait to see the low trim packages, and how the cargo area will be configured. When the time comes, I'll be considering a TRDOR package again, so the hybrid battery space doesnt concern me. Hopefully you gain all the space that the batteries occupy.
Only two gripes I have, are the 2nd row seats not completely folding flat will hinder packing and having a nice flat area for your fridge at the rear passenger door like on our 5th gen. Also, no more interior lights in the hatch will suck on those dark camping evenings, also no overhead lighting in the cargo area doesnt help when your gears all back there, those low side lights will more than likely be blocked by stuff.

I quite like the design of the 6th gen, Cant wait to see the low trim packages, and how the cargo area will be configured. When the time comes, I'll be considering a TRDOR package again, so the hybrid battery space doesnt concern me. Hopefully you gain all the space that the batteries occupy.
Only two gripes I have, are the 2nd row seats not completely folding flat will hinder packing and having a nice flat area for your fridge at the rear passenger door like on our 5th gen. Also, no more interior lights in the hatch will suck on those dark camping evenings, also no overhead lighting in the cargo area doesnt help when your gears all back there, those low side lights will more than likely be blocked by stuff.
I didn't even notice the lack of rear hatch lights. That would be a big deal especially for those of us that use it at night to camp or even unload. Maybe we can rely on the aftermarket to make an option. I know a lot of guys that run Baja rock lights or KC cyclones mounted to rago shelves as an option.

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

It looks like we're not getting the 6th Gen 4Runner until December of 2024 or possibly the 1st...
I have a Genesis Offroad dual-battery setup in my 2019 ORP and absolutely love it. As I...
I'm new here from NJ and I want say Hi 👋 to everyone. I like 2025 4Runner new design and specs...
The battery on the hybrid 6th Gen 4Runners is located all the way in the rear of the vehicle in...
There are several companies out there already who have made or in current development for CAI’s...
The new 2025 6th Gen 4Runner gets a bit of an upgrade when it comes to tech. One of those...

Similar

Back