Cargo Area Comparison, Hybrid Vs. Non-Hybrid

Blackteqrunner

I know a lot of you are probably a lot like me and have been trying to decide what trim would make the most sense for what you plan to use the 4Runner for. Whether it is a daily commuter, overlander, baja inspired rig or a capable 4x4 that will help you get to your active lifestyle hobbies, each trim Toyota offers has it's own target audience. Whatever the case may be, the small differences will definitely help to narrow down your decisions once that time comes to choosing your trim level. I know for me personally, my family and I love to go camping. For some context we have two boys, ages 4 and 6, and my wife and myself. Along with that comes a lot of careful decisions to be made as far as what we want to bring with us versus what we can actually fit in the limited 5th Gen setup we currently use. Below you can see our current set up when fully packed.

View attachment IMG_2026 2.jpg copy.jpg

As I browsed the images and videos of the new TRD Pro 4Runner, one of the things that immediately came to mind is the now limited cargo space on the Hybrid versions. The hybrid being standard in the Trailhunter and TRD Pro make this a difficult decision about whether that 6 inches of vertical space as well as some of the space on the wheel wells that I would be losing would be worth getting the Hybrid trim. As you can see we are pretty maxed out as it is for our trips, but if it came down to it we could probably minimize our setup some to accommodate the limited cargo space.

HybridCargo.png
NonHybridcargo.png

For reference I also included a photo of the non-hybrid option and the difference in space it creates. For me this may mean I either deal with the loss of cargo space, get a smaller fridge (We currently run a Dometic 75 CFX), or we save money with the off road premium trim and gain some much needed volume. The good news is, we have some time to figure this all out before any decisions have to be made! What direction are you leaning towards?

Nice set of photos to compare. I'm on a similar boat on deciding between Hybrid and non-H. I was aware of the space loss, but seeing them side by side really paints the picture!
Interesting how the wheel wells are different? and is the left side cargo space (w/ door) on Hybrid for Trailhunter compressor?
Something to note too : I don't think the battery goes all the way back, meaning that there is a bit of storage on that back section too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it is just cargo space. I attached a photo of the Trailhunter's on board air. Looks like they put it on the passenger side. I really wish they placed it facing the rear so that when the cargo area is maximized you would still have access to it. I'm sure someone is going to find a way to move it there via the aftermarket though!

013-2025-toyota-4runner-trailhunter2.jpg

I think it is just cargo space. I attached a photo of the Trailhunter's on board air. Looks like they put it on the passenger side. I really wish they placed it facing the rear so that when the cargo area is maximized you would still have access to it. I'm sure someone is going to find a way to move it there via the aftermarket though!

View attachment 452
Thanks! and good point on that observation. Maybe the opposite side is where the bottle jack lives.

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

It looks like we're not getting the 6th Gen 4Runner until December of 2024 or possibly the 1st...
I have a Genesis Offroad dual-battery setup in my 2019 ORP and absolutely love it. As I...
I'm new here from NJ and I want say Hi 👋 to everyone. I like 2025 4Runner new design and specs...
The battery on the hybrid 6th Gen 4Runners is located all the way in the rear of the vehicle in...
There are several companies out there already who have made or in current development for CAI’s...
The new 2025 6th Gen 4Runner gets a bit of an upgrade when it comes to tech. One of those...

Similar

Back