TRD PRO Fox Shocks, A Deep Dive

Blackteqrunner

With the new TNJ platform, there are a lot of similarities between the 4th Gen Tacoma and the 5th Gen 4Runner. One of these similarities may include their suspension set up, more specifically their shocks. On a recent video on TFL, they did a detailed interview with Sheldon Brown Chief Engineer for Toyota who worked on the Tacoma as well as the 4Runner. In this video, he mentioned that the 4Runner and Tacoma were virtually built at the same time and with many of the same components. With the frames and geometry so similar, maybe we can assume that the Fox PRO shocks would be similar as well.

For Starters, the front and rear shocks will come with piggy back reservoirs and the ability to adjust the dampening while on the vehicle. The PRO shocks are a beefy 2.5" diameter shock, and look quite a bit larger than the standard shock that is present on the OFF ROAD version that comes with a 2" diameter or 46 mm. The OFF ROAD Bilstein shocks still come with a reservoir, and an internal "end stop control" but are not as beefy as the PRO version. The PRO shocks have multiple bypass zones and were tuned and developed in collaboration with FOX to create a Baja style configuration that would perform at high speeds.

IMG_2710.jpg

One of the biggest changes that are notable is the ability to adjust the shock settings with an external click adjuster located on the bottom of the shock body near the lower mount. Sheldon named this Toyota's "QS3 switchable technology". The adjusters is on the bottom of both the front and rear shocks and has 3 settings; Zone #1, Zone #2 and Zone #3. Zone #1 is what the Pro model comes off the factory floor at, a setting meant for appropriate on road characteristics. Zone #2 is meant for fire roads, moderate off roading and a bit of a softer ride. Zone #3 is the setting made for high speed desert running which really maximizes the ability of the shock's performance.

IMG_2714.jpg

Along with the upgraded suspension, Fox and Toyota are offering a hydraulic bump stop or Hydro Jounce Stops as Sheldon called it. They are placed inside of the rear coils and are used to dampen harsh bottoming out so you don't feel that dreaded thud on large drops or bumps. The Hydro Jounce Stops are in the rear only and are offered on the TRD Pro model Tacoma.

IMG_2713.jpg
Safe to say, it sounds like Toyota has been listening and offering a version of shock that can perform as soon as you take it off the dealership lot. If the trend continues, it looks like this will be identical or at least very similar to what the 4Rrunner Pro will get in the new 6th generation. I know many of us will upgrade our suspension components anyway but it is nice to have something that is more than serviceable as soon as you purchase it!

Attachments

• IMG_2713.PNG
    IMG_2713.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

It looks like we're not getting the 6th Gen 4Runner until December of 2024 or possibly the 1st...
I have a Genesis Offroad dual-battery setup in my 2019 ORP and absolutely love it. As I...
I'm new here from NJ and I want say Hi 👋 to everyone. I like 2025 4Runner new design and specs...
The battery on the hybrid 6th Gen 4Runners is located all the way in the rear of the vehicle in...
There are several companies out there already who have made or in current development for CAI’s...
The new 2025 6th Gen 4Runner gets a bit of an upgrade when it comes to tech. One of those...

Similar

Back