6th-Gen Refrigerator

sscarter

I have a Genesis Offroad dual-battery setup in my 2019 ORP and absolutely love it. As I contemplate replacing it with a 6th-gen, I'm wondering how one would run a refrigerator with one of the 6th-gen hybrids. There's certainly no room for anything extra in the engine compartment, based on photos. And, from what I've read here, the starting battery isn't in the engine compartment anyway.

So the question is: Could the fridge run off the main battery? If not, how would one power a fridge?

After some correspondence with Genesis Offroad, I've learned a few things that help answer my questions:
  • There is no cranking battery per se in a hybrid, as explained in this post: https://6thgen4runner.com/threads/6th-gen-4runner-hybrid-start-up-battery-location.229/.
  • The little battery in the cargo area is just for the OEM accessories. Anything like a refrigerator will need a larger battery.
  • For a hybrid, the strategy is not to install a dual battery arrangement such as in my 5th-gen, but simply to add a second, accessory battery which is charged by the same source as the OEM 12V accessory battery.
  • While Genesis Offroad does not yet know where a second accessory battery might go, they are pretty confident that, once they get their hands on a 6th-gen hybrid 4Runner, they will be able to figure out some place to put another battery. In the hybrid Wrangler and Gladiator, for example, the second battery goes under the rear seat. They did acknowledge that it's getting harder and harder to find a place for another battery, but are optimistic that they'll find a way.
So, given we're not likely to see any meaningful availability of the 6th-gen until early 2025, it will probably be mid-2025 at the earliest before Genesis Offroad has a solution (my estimate, not theirs).

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

Hey all, I'm a member over on another T4R forum as well. Considering jumping into a 6th Gen T4R...
Sometimes I feel a little jealous of the Lexus cousins getting Mark Levinson audio, but I think...
For the years of the 5th Gen, the FOX shocks on the TRD Pro were king, but now Trailhunter is...
The last gen Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia TRD Pros all received RIGID Industries LED fog lights...
If you could bring back one 5th Gen TRD Pro color to the 6th Gen what would it be? While my...
ToyotaJeff Reviews gave a very detailed look at a '25 4Runner TRD Pro in the Mudbath color. He...

Similar

Back