10K Miles Traveled With New 4Runner Powertrain

TRD JON

Administrator
Staff member
I just crossed 10K with my 2024 Toyota Tacoma with the new 2.4L 4cyl Turbo i-FORCE Powertrain. This engine/transmission combo is the same non-hybrid option that will be available for the new 6th Gen 4Runner when it releases later this fall. I'm just gonna get this out of the way now, this new 4cyl still needs to prove itself over the next decade (like all new Toyota powertrains have in time). That being said, this new i-FORCE setup is significantly more enjoyable to drive over the outgoing 4.0L V6 with a 5-speed trans. HATE ME ALL YOU WANT! It is undeniably a better driving experience (at least with the Tacoma).

I can only imagine that the 4Runner with the same engine setup will be just as good, if not better than the Tacoma when we finally get to drive them. My Taco has given me 0 issues thus far with my road trip from East Coast to the West Coast with many miles in between exploring. Through the mountains and flat lands, the truck performed flawlessly with zero hiccups and honestly decent MPG (17) for being lifted with larger 34" C load-rated tires.

IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_9480.jpeg

I'm glad you are saying this : "That being said, this new i-FORCE setup is significantly more enjoyable to drive over the outgoing 4.0L V6 with a 5-speed trans. HATE ME ALL YOU WANT!"
I have experience: -Over 100k with 2.4 22re (4cyl) 5-speed manual
- Also over 100K with 3.4 5vz-fe (v6) 5-speed manual
- and drove family's 4.0 (5-speed) many times and road trips (LONG ones).
Long story short I like all of them in different ways w/ pro's and cons, but I have no doubt that the new power plant feels much smoother!
Thanks for the reassurance, I can't wait to drive one!

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

So like the Tacoma, I expect Toyota to allow us to upgrade our SR5 (or other lower trim level...
Who here is looking to get a 4Runner pretty decked out by Toyota? Currently the new Tacoma has...
I want to make this thread for everyone to post about dealership deliveries and updates. Last I...
This feature is absolutely ICONIC to the Toyota 4Runner’s DNA. When Toyota shared with us that...
After messing with my new Land Cruiser by adding larger tires onto it, 295/70R18s, I think that...
I had the pleasure to see the all new 2025 Toyota 4Runner at night all lit up in front of our...

Similar

Back