Social Media Grifters Playing Off Of Irrational Fears

Blackteqrunner

This is not my typical post, but more of a rant. I have personally seen a lot of media, especially on Youtube, trashing Toyota recently and trashing the new generation releases. Now let me get one thing out of the way before I get angry responses about me being a Toyota "fan boy". First and foremost, I admittedly am a huge fan of Toyota and get excited to get any new information that comes our way. I have had 5 Toyotas personally and my entire extended family are a Toyota/Lexus only family and have been for years. With that being said, I will not carry water for Toyota if I see them making a mistake. There is a difference in calling out possible mistakes and going into total grifting. What is an example of a grift you say? I'm glad you asked.

A certain Youtuber, which shall go unnamed for now, fits the description perfectly. He has been in the Toyota scene for a long time and has owned over a dozen Toyotas that have been a big part of his content if not all of his content. I enjoyed seeing his new vehicles, many of which being the hard to get TRD Pro's, Land Cruiser 200's, the list goes on and on. Recently he made a post about how he was happy about keeping his older model Toyota with the naturally aspirated V8, which I agree is a fantastic option especially in the initial release of a brand new powertrain. As his videos started pumping out a few times a week, I noticed a trend. All of his videos had nearly the same format. It was a sensational title, like "I am done with Toyota" or "Toyota is losing it's way" for example. Along with these attention grabbing titles is a selfie imposed on the thumbnail of the best frowny/concerned face he could muster. After a few you could chalk it up to him venting his frustrations, but after weeks of the same video format you realize that he is grifting into audience capture.

It seems to me that he realized he tapped into what a lot of us that have owned Toyota vehicles initially felt when innovation started to replace what we have all known to be a reliable platform. Will this new engine be reliable? Only time will tell, but we have to give Toyota some good faith that they have provided quality products up to this release and should be continuing that level of quality. Now I am a firm believer in free speech and he is absolutely able to create what he wants, however feeding into the fears of change that many of us have and deleting negative comments is not the best way to get your point across in the end. Like I said, we will see what the future holds and if Toyota has once again kept their promise for reliability or if they dropped the ball.

Yeah man, only time will tell how the new motor performs. There's always going to be that core group at the beginning that hate it but at the end of the day, it's still a TOYOTA. I am sure they did their due diligence while in the manufacturing and R&D phases of the builds. WIll it stand up to the tried and true 4.0 V6 or will it fall short? Who knows, we just need time.

Man... Everyone just loves to hate. Personally, I love the 4.0 V6 and wouldn't trade it for the world. With that said, that's my personal preference. Doesn't mean I'm better because that's what I think. I'd be willing to be those well paid and educated engineers that work for Toyota have a slightly better idea as to what they are doing than some you tube personality chasing clout. We're also in the market for a new TRD Pro Sequoia. But, because it doesn't have the old V8, does that mean toyota lost its way?! No. It's going to run circles around my good ole V6. And guess what, that's more than ok.

Appreciate the rant!

Yeah man, only time will tell how the new motor performs. There's always going to be that core group at the beginning that hate it but at the end of the day, it's still a TOYOTA. I am sure they did their due diligence while in the manufacturing and R&D phases of the builds. WIll it stand up to the tried and true 4.0 V6 or will it fall short? Who knows, we just need time.
So true. It would be statistically improbable that Toyota decided to throw away its reliability banner for this new group of releases and its reputation with it. The more likely scenario is that they did their homework and due diligence to provide a solid platform once again, and will work out any kinks that show up in the initial roll out.

Man... Everyone just loves to hate. Personally, I love the 4.0 V6 and wouldn't trade it for the world. With that said, that's my personal preference. Doesn't mean I'm better because that's what I think. I'd be willing to be those well paid and educated engineers that work for Toyota have a slightly better idea as to what they are doing than some you tube personality chasing clout. We're also in the market for a new TRD Pro Sequoia. But, because it doesn't have the old V8, does that mean toyota lost its way?! No. It's going to run circles around my good ole V6. And guess what, that's more than ok.

Appreciate the rant!
I’m glad you liked it! I’m really hoping that Toyota continues their commitment to craftsmanship and quality, but likeI I said only time will tell. Appreciate the response!

Yeah, it seems like "angertainement" is the hot topic now a days.... Something to consider as well in this subject is that Toyota has put many eggs in one basket! What I mean by that is that the TNGA planform along with the "new" T24A-FTS is not an North America product only. Toyota has a much bigger market worldwide for the LC 250 "Prado" that will have that engine and Diesel as well. Needless to say that there is no doubt that the proper R&D has been done for these vehicles. Also most people don't realize that Toyota has been reliably using turbos in Hilux diesels for decades now...
YES time will tell and the wrinkles will get ironed out in time, but for now let's remain optimistic shall we.

Last edited:
I know who you are talking about, it’s just for views and likes. Just like those girl van lifer videos always showing themselves in bikinis on their thumbnails. I mean I like bikinis but i pass on that bait for views.

Featured

Official Pricing will be released this fall...
Ok guys, here is a quick look at the new 6th...
It sounds like Toyota is making a statement...

Recent

I want to get a pulse check on who here is thinking about getting aftermarket headlights on...
I was just surfing on Instagram and found this render by KELSONIK. He took the Limited Trim in...
It seems that Toyota has moved on from Nitto Terra Grapplers with their new upcoming 6th Gen...
The new 2025 Toyota 4Runner Trailhunter has some pretty cool Rigid Fog Lights. These lights are...
My biggest gripe with my new Land Cruiser and Tacoma is the pathetically small gas tank size...
I have had my new Land Cruiser for about 1 month now and I wanted to fill you all in on how the...

Similar

Back